Thursday, September 16, 2010

I am a foreigner...

Today was hands down my worst day in Germany to date. I have never openly sobbed in public like I did today. Even in New York, a home to many of my tears, I never cried like I did today.

It was today that I realized that I am a foreigner here, and I am alone. I experienced the German bureaucracy I always knew of but had never encountered. And the worst time to experience bureaucracy is when dealing with your money. And as all travelers know, there is almost nothing worse than having money problems while traveling.

I won't go into the fine details of the situation, but picture this: Me standing at the bank counter, asking the teller to please give me my money. The teller telling me that she can't do that because I don't have a bank statement print-out (apparently the holy proof that the account belongs to me). I tell her I have my passport, the ultimate proof of identity. Still no. She can't verify that this is my account and therefore refuses to give me money. I begin to cry (obviously). The whole line starts to yell at me. The lady tells me to leave. I demand my money. (repeat 3-4 times). I leave.

Sobbing on the street, like, sobbing people. I have no one to help me, I have no one to hug, no one to even talk to. I call Nick (sorry for waking you up!!), cry more and then collect myself. A young kid who was standing in the bank line while this whole episode occurred walks up to me with a cup of coffee, gives it to me and ask me if I am okay. This kid is your classic east German youth...long hair, tattoos, piercings, no job, no school, just a street dweller. He was the nicest person I have encountered yet.

Dear Lars,

Thank you for being so nice. You made me feel a little less alone.

Love, Katie

4 comments:

Maria Henly said...

Katester,

Let's hope that the banking incident was the low point and the worst knothole to get through. Nick will be there this weekend and you will solve the banking stuff. So good to talk to you yesterday even if you were upset.

You will make it and find happiness!

Love, momma

Kathryn said...

VERDAMMTE BANKEN. I can't believe only one person was sympathetic to you! wow... As your mom says, things can only go up, right?

Anonymous said...

Lonely and crying in an unknown place... builds character. Hopefully it has gotten better.

Keep blogging.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry katester! you dont deserve that at all. Poop on them. Keep your chin up pretty girl. i love you. thank you, lars, for being kind.
love annie