Saturday, September 11, 2010

Made it!

Hello All!

I have made it to Leipzig and am starting to settle in. The past week has been extremely stressful. Between leaving my friends, family and job in the US to starting up anew. I knew this was going to be hard, but forgot how hard it really is.

I arrived last Saturday in Frankfurt and spent two days with the Locharts (my old au pair family). Timmothy is so grown up and he speaks English so well! Photos are to come.

After my time in Frankfurt I took the train to Cologne for the Fulbright orientation. There were 140 Americans and then a handful of people from England, New Zealand, and Australia. It was like freshman year of college yet worse. Meeting so many new people, wanting to make friends just so you aren't lonely, yet not really like anyone because there are all insufferable ass holes that talk about their colleges acceptance rate. Great! I did meet a couple of girls that were nice and I hope to keep in touch with them over there year.

On Thursday morning I took the train East to Leipzig and was greeted by my main teacher at the school. His name is Michael, he is 30 and teaches French and English. He is very nice and I am looking forward to working with him! He took me on a small tour of the city (in the rain) and we talked about the school, the students, and life in Leipzig. He then awkwardly informed me that I would NOT be staying the colleague he had mentioned before, bur rather in a youth hostel. He said he booked me a single room for a week. Great! I thought. Except for the fact that this youth hostel expense would be coming out of my pocket, not his or Fulbright's. I don't really like the youth hostel and would MUCH rather be staying with a family or a WG (Wohngemeinschaft = similar to a shared apartment, but with 3+ people). I am currently on the hunt for apartments and think I might find one this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed (or "hold your thumbs" as the Germans say).

I am at Starbucks right now....ugh, so cliche, I know. But they have free internet, so I don't care. I miss Nick terribly and can't wait for him to arrive (he comes on the 19th). I will write more later when I get everything figured out with internet and my apartment. I will also post some pictures!

Sorry for all the typos and poor grammar. I am running out of time and have to go to my next apartment viewing. Love to you all!!!

Katie

2 comments:

Laura said...

Katie,

I am so glad you made it safe and that, despite some setbacks, you are settling in! I miss you already and I will be keeping up on the blog!!

Love you!

Laura

Sarah said...

Hey girlie! You know this move was a good thing it your life because it got you back blogging! :-) Can't wait to hear about more adventures!