So I recently came to the realization that I don't speak enough German here. I speak English at "work" all day, and then I come home to Nick and obviously only speak English with him. I watch American television on the computer, read English books, and occasionally hang out with other Americans or Brits. I had a minor panic attack about this and thought I was actually getting stupider here. This may or may not be true. So I decided I needed to make a change and seek out German speaking opportunities. I posted myself on two different tandem-partner websites and got a lot of responses! I had my first meeting today with my new tandem-partner, Eva. She was so nice and I think she might want to be my friend too, which would be a DOUBLE WIN because I essentially have NO friends here. Plus, Eva is from West Germany and gets it.
After speaking with her for a half an hour in German I then went to one of my teachers house for Kaffee und Kuchen. We talked and talked and talked (all in German) for 4 hours. I ate so many gingerbread flavored cakes and cookies I didn't even have to have dinner. While riding home on the tram I had a MASSIVE headache. I am positive it is from speaking so much German. My brain just wasn't used to it. I haven't concentrated so hard on speaking German in years. The moral of the story is: Speaking German gives me a headache. Let's hope Eva wants to hang out again, though and then I won't get these massive headaches every time I speak German for over an hour.
2 comments:
I am sure that it is possible that you got a headache from speaking German too much. But I also want you to consider that maybe too many gingerbread cookies and cakes made a contribution! This happens to me , especially with too many sweets.
I love seeing 2 blogs close together,
momma
Bravo! I agree. Medical diagnosis - headache caused by overindulgence in German Gingerbread Cookies. A well known syndrome - GGC!! (but then again you know how accurate my medical diagnoses are when it comes to you....)
Post a Comment