This past week was "Karnival" here in Germany. It is rather similar to Mardi Gras, but the Germans gave it their own weird twist. There were parades with people dressed up like who knows what and lots of alcohol consumed at uncomfortable hours (10 am?). I was supposed to dress up, but I just didn't get that into it. Here is a picture of my friends and I. Note my non-existent costume. Another big event this past week was my visit to the "hospital". I put hospital is quotes because I don't know if I would exactly call where I went a hospital. I was having strange stomach pains and I thought that I should check it out because of my previous experience with my gall bladder. I didn't want another emergency surgery, so I went it. Stephanie came with me (thank god) and can attest to the fact that it was the strangest experience. We were sent to a building where there was NO receptionist, but randos walking around. I was then asked to enter a room where several "doctors" asked me about my symptoms and just started prodding me and drawing blood. It wasn't until about 20 minutes through the whole ordeal that I asked, "Um...so what exactly are you doing to me?" The routine in an American hospital just isn't present in the German one. People were walking in and out, meds were being given to me without my approval or knowledge and the strangest of all, I didn't have to pay. Welcome to socialized medicine. It was not a positive experience. But, as for what was wrong with me, they diagnosed me with Gastritis (an infection in my stomach lining) and sent me home with four little pink pills...in a mailing envelope.
Another awesome experience was today when I got to go to the US Consulate here in Frankfurt. I am volunteering for a program called the "Meet US" program. It is a program that facilitates dialect between German high school students and Americans about topics such as "What is the American Dream" or "The 2008 US Presidential Election". I met with the head of the program today and going to the consulate was similar to a visit to Alcatraz. The security was SUPER tight and quite the experience. But on a whole, it was a very positive experience and it was so interesting to see the working of the Consulate and meet the other members of Gerhard's team. I am also hoping that this volunteering position will lead to future job positions. We'll see!
The most exciting expereince of my week actually will happen tomorrow. I will get to VOTE! The Democrats Abroad have a chapter here in Frankfurt and the polls will be open from 10-3. I will be there at 10, bright and early for me, and I just can't WAIT to cast my vote for OBAMA! YES WE CAN!
The coverage of the American election is quite exciting over here. I wish I could be back in the states to feel the excitment there, though. I am glued to CNN International and find myself watching it for hours straight even though they play the same clips on a 20 minute loop. Awesome.
Hope everyone is doing well! Will try and update more often!
love to you all, Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment