Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'm turning into a Republican!

So as most of you know that in order for me to pay my bills I am stuck doing "odd jobs" around the city. I like this lifestyle but do truly look forward to the day when I can get back into my 9-5 lifestyle. On Tuesday I went out to one of my "odd jobs" but I don't know if I would describe it as odd or disastrous.

I went to cater at the Jacob Javitts Center on the West Side of Manhattan. It is this HUGE convention center that holds...well, conventions. The event I was working for was "Accessories The Show." So it was just a massive convention with booths filled with crap. Handbags, watches, necklaces, hats, sunglasses, any accessory you can name was in that room. But it wasn't the accessories that were interesting, rather the people. As you can probably imagine, "Accessories The Show" attracted a very specific type: bitchy assholes.

So my whole role in this event was to feed these hungry animals. There was a breakfast buffet with bagels and coffee and then a lunch buffet and I worked the condiment station. People would STAMPEDE the condiment stand grabbing at any and all of the choices. People who were eating the pasta wanted the salad dressing, just because it was there. The number of people I saw with a caesar salad that took the french or other dressing was unbelievable. You got the caesar salad, get the caesar dressing. And vice versa...if you got the cob salad, don't take the caesar dressing! Or a woman would walk up, "Fat Free French, Lite Italian, Caesar...why don't you have fat free Caesar?" And then two seconds later complain that we don't have full-fat mayo. I just smiled sweetly while thinking things I can't write here because my Granny would not approve.

The whole reason that I am turning into a Republican is not because of the crazy freaks I was serving, but because of the crazy freaks I was working with. Since I am a temp, I am not technically with the catering company at the Javits Center. Their company is called CenterPlate (catchy!). And all the workers at CenterPlate are unionized. As a Democrat I should be pro-union, but no no no. NO! These people are the laziest workers I have ever met. They also barely spoke English which really got my Republican juices flowing. "This is America! We speak ENG-LISH aqui." My name is Katie, not Seniorita. Got it?

No comments: