For some reason it is very rare in New York to find a nice alternative coffee shop with wi-fi that let's you sit all day long and only drink one cup of coffee. Good thing I found Outpost. Outpost is pretty much an oasis in the middle of the ghetto. As I was walking over today the types of places I saw were the "African Art Museum" that looked like it had one room and hadn't been opened since 1982, about 6 store front churches where I could hear the preacher belting it out on this nice Sunday morning, and delis that are clearly a front and they actually just deal drugs behind the counter. Anyway, as I was sitting near the window I was looking out onto this scene and I noticed that across the street there were a few men walking out of a funeral home. With them they were rolling a casket out and bringing it to one of the store front churches which is actually right next door to Outpost. As the men crossed the street, the wheely thing that the casket was on started to malfunction. Another man ran to get a replacement wheely thing (what are those things called?!) and they then tried to move the casket from the malfunctioning wheely thing to the new one. They were all struggling and flailing around and all I could picture was the casket tipping over and the body flopping out and thudding on the cement. They successfully transferred the casket and when I relayed the story to my friend Meg she said, "Don't you kind of wish that the body would have fallen out? Just a little?" Meg knows me so well.
1 comment:
It's called a "gurney." Which is also the name of a little town in Wisconsin. And yes bodies falling out of coffins is always funny. Remember the movie Death at a Funeral?
Post a Comment