Sunday, March 29, 2009

Subway "Art"

When you ride the subway ALL the time, you tend to memorize all the ads, emergency memos, and are (sadly) pleasantly surprised when new ads appear. Your eye catches anything that seems different or new. That is why subtle subway "art" always makes my day when I see it. Take these two examples:
If you can't see this one very well there is a bumper sticker that says "teach the babies". It is covering part of the sign that says "Do not hold doors." I liked this one.
This is my favorite type of subway "art" where the "artist" carefully cuts out part of the ad and reconstructs the picture. I loved this ad initially because who doesn't LOVE soft-core Lifetime movies? But the new homo-erotic aspect makes it even more appealing.

There was another great piece of subway "art" (actually, more like vandalism) that I saw on the C train yesterday but it was too vulgar/embarrassing to photograph, much less post on this blog. I hope someone else out there saw the added commentary to the Aruba ads.

Also, riding home on the shuttle bus late last night (damn you, MTA) the windows started to fog up. The man sitting next to me started to write something in the window fog. I thought it was going to be something stupid like "fuck you!" or "MTA sucks!" but all he wrote was "LESS." Sometimes New York at 2:00 am on a crowded shuttle bus pleasantly surprises me and makes me realize I live in a pretty cool place.

No comments: